Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm a Mac!


With all the publicity surrounding Microsoft's new ad blitz I thought I would weigh in with my 2¢ – Surprise! I'm a Mac! Have been since the late 80's and most likely will be until the day I die.

Over the years I've personally owned a total of 7 Macs of various flavors and configurations. Those are just the ones I've used at home. At work there have been another dozen or so that I've been in charge of at various times...everything from PowerBooks, to Mac Pro's and everything in between.

On top of all that I've got three iPods and an iPhone in the household. Hopefully a second iPhone is coming in the not too distant future.

For the video work I do, Macs make sense. For use at home, they do everything I've ever asked them to do without fuss. I've never had a virus attack my machines. I've never seen the "blue screen of death" or had a complete system failure. They just work. Not to say there haven't been some problems along the way, but nothing like the problems all of my PC friends have had.

I loved Apple's "Get a Mac" ads with Justin Long and John Hodgeman from the beginning. I thought they were clever and entertaining with a nice little pump for Apple while getting in a not-so-subtle dig at Windows. I sat scratching my bald head when I saw the Microsoft ads with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates. The new "I'm a PC" ads? Talk about imitation being the biggest form of flattery. But honestly, I don't think Microsoft is winning back any of the people who switched to the Mac over the past several years.

Am I biased? Sure. Am I a Mac snob? Absolutely. There may be 12 step programs available for geeks like me, but I ain't going!


2 comments:

Amber said...

When I started my job, I was on a mac for the first time. I don't actually care if I'm on a mac or PC--I'm more of a quill and parchment kind of gal.

But since I'm on this mac, it's like I've been accepted into this secret society. Other mac users will wink at me in the hall and give me high-fives, and talk conspiratorily about PCs. It's like I'm a missionary getting a glimpse into this secret, but very welcoming, jungle tribe.

Ric Sieben said...

Welcome to the club - er, jungle! I tried the quill and parchment thing once...made a huge mess.